Monday, June 21, 2010

Grammar: It's Not Just For Nerds Any More

Okay. I’ll admit it. I’m a nerd when it comes to grammar. If you want proof, here it is. One of the best books I ever read is called When Words Collide: A Media Writer’s Guide to Grammar and Style.

I highly recommend it to the grammar-challenged and to other grammar nerds. It’s very readable and has the answer to almost any question you might have on the subject.

I’ll admit something else. I’ve been guilty of complaining about the seeming death of grammar in public discourse and in the written word. People kvetch about how the broadcast pundits mangle the English language and the newspapers are full of subject-verb agreement errors. I’ve been among them.

I have taught copyediting at the college level and have encountered students who readily admit they have had no training in grammar or punctuation. I have been in the communications industry for 30 years and have worked with many professionals who do not have a grasp of these writing essentials.

Not that I’m an expert. As a writer and editor, I constantly refer to When Words Collide, the AP Stylebook, the dictionary and other resources.

So, what’s the point? The point is that knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling is acquired. It doesn’t come naturally to most people. You have to learn it the old-fashioned way. And you must learn it because it’s the foundation of good writing.

If you’re a writer of any stripe – author, business writer, web content creator or whatever – make it a point to learn grammar basics. It’s an essential part of true professionalism as a writer.